Be Prepared for an Accident
Oct 9, 2015
We are providing the following checklist that will guide you through this stressful time.
1) Be Prepared (Before an Accident)
The following items and information should be readily accessible in the event of an accident:
- Driver’s license – carry it with you whenever you operate any vehicle
- Vehicle registration card
- Insurance information including the carrier name, pollicy number and emergency contact
- First-aid kit, including water, flares, flat-fix-it kit
- Your mobile phone
- A pen and paper to exchange contact information with other drivers as well as record information about the accident
2) At the Scene of the Accident
- Stop your car – If you are blocking traffic or are in a dangerous place, pull off to the side of the road or into a well-lit parking lot. If you fail to stop to communicate with the other parties involved, you could be charged with a “hit and run” and the penalties are severe.
- Turn your vehicle’s engine off, do not step out of the vehicle until you are sure it is safe, wait for assistance if you are unable to exit the car.
- Are you or your passengers injured? If so, seek medical assistance immediately if necessary. Use your cell phone to call 911 and ask for an ambulance if you believe you or your passengers need medical attention.
- Be courteous and respectful to all parties.
- If you suspect the other driver may be drunk, do not confront him or her. Leave that to the police to handle.
- Make sure your thoughts are clear before you make any statements to the police.
- Avoid making statements about who may have been at fault or who was responsible to the other driver, witnesses, police or anyone else.
- Do not contact your insurance company until you have your thoughts clear and have gathered all the pertinent accident information.
- If you are able, take pictures of the damage to your car, the other car and the area of the accident.
- Assist the police with their official report. Get a copy of the report.
- Call Andy’s Auto Service at 412-478-9304 for assistance with towing, insurance claims reporting, rental car, and repairs to your vehicle.
3) After the Accident
Dealing with damage to your vehicle:
- Do not drive your car if it is unsafe. If you can safely drive your vehicle, bring it to the our facility as soon as possible.
- If you cannot drive your car or if you are not sure if it is safely operable, call Andy, at Andy’s Auto Service. We can assist you with towing, handling the insurance claim, renting a car (if necessary), and repairing damages to your car.
- You have the right to go to the repair shop of your choice. Your insurance company or the other drivers insurance cannot require you to go to a particular facility against your will.
- Differences in repair estimates are common based on new ‘vs’ used or aftermarket parts. It is your vehicle; you deserve the highest quality parts and repairs.
You’ve had an accident, and the last thing you need is another headache trying to settle the insurance claim. Andy’s Auto Service will professionally handle your insurance claim for you. We’ll even provide assistance with getting a rental car and get you back on the road as quickly as possible.
Collision claims, Other Party Insurance Claims, Theft claims: no auto claim is too difficult for our staff to handle. Our team members have decades of experience with insurance companies claims departments. Just give us your policy number or claim number and we’ll take it from there. We can act on your behalf and handle everything for you.
Contact us today! 412-478-9304